Virtual Team Leaders!
The goal of Creep into the DEEPEND is to get students to understand there’s an entire fascinating and important world deep in the sea. There, a variety of fascinating animals thrive. It is also where our DEEPEND Science Team studies. Our Taking Science Deeper curriculum is designed to provide a variety of activities you can incorporate into your curriculum and highlight the animals or research of the Team. Plus, we have videos, coloring sheets, and DEEPEND Teaching modules available for background information and activities for older students and much more.
TAKING SCIENCE DEEPER ACTIVITY BOOKLETS (k-6): Crafts, games and labs easy to plug into k-6th classroom lesson plans. Some adaptable for older students.
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 1 Intro to the Deep Sea DEEPEND
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 2 Deep Sea Animals DEEPEND 2015
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 3 Hagfish Day Sampler DEEPEND
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 4 Ocean Currents and Pollution DEEPEND
- New activities from Booklet 5:
TAKING SCIENCE DEEPER COLORING SHEETS:
- DEEPEND Siphonophore Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Glass Squid Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Benthic Octopus Larva Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Deep-Sea Squid Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Anglerfish Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Deep Red Medusa Coloring Sheet
DEEPEND Teaching Modules (6th-12th grade): Great background information for teachers of all grades and some activities adaptable to 4-5th grade.
- Marine Environments DEEPEND Teaching Module (6th-12th grade) Great intro information for teachers of all grades and some activities adaptable to 4-5th grade.
- Adaptations DEEPEND Teaching Module (6th-12th grade)
- DEEPEND Videos Page (or click on link below):
- Other Videos about the Deep Sea
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND ACTIVITIES
- Fishin for Facts Hagfish
- Fishin for Facts Glow in the Dark Poop
- Creep into the DEEPEND Magazine Cover activity
- Videos about the Deep
INFORMATION ABOUT DEEP AND OCEAN ZONES
- Excellent video from NOAA’s Oceans Today: The Deep Ocean
- Deep Sea Biome, UntamedScience.com: This page has great introductory information about ocean zones and three videos your students might enjoy. We encourage you to show the Deep-Sea Conservation one to your students.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DEEPEND SCIENCE TEAM AND OTHER RESOURCES
- DEEPEND Consortium Website
- Oregon Coast Aquarium’s Oceanscape Network
- Creep into the DEEPEND Seamails
- Postcards from the DEEPEND
For more information about the 2017 Creep into the DEEPEND Events, email us: deepend at our website whaletimes.org
DEEPEND research, outreach, and education funded by the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative. Thank you!