Creep into the DEEPEND™ 2016 news!
This summer, sign up for a Creep into the DEEPEND Summer Camp at a museum or science center near you. More information to come….
About Creep into the DEEPEND: As part of WhaleTimes’ Virtual Research Missions, students become part of the DEEPEND consortium, a group of deep-sea scientists investigating the biodiversity and distribution of animals in the Gulf of Mexico’s deep-sea ecosystem. The deep is by far the largest affected habitat from the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. The consortium includes more than 30 scientists from 11 different universities and agencies, led by Dr. Tracey Sutton (Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center). (Research funded by Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GOMRI) award number GOMRI2014-IV-914)
Space is limited: Teachers and summer camp coordinators, for more information, email us: deepend at our website whaletimes.org
Joins WhaleTimes at the DEEPEND, no floaties required!
Video courtesy of the Oregon Coast Aquarium’s Oceanscape Network
Creep into the DEEPEND activities: See links below
Virtual Team Leaders!
The goal of Creep into the DEEPEND is to get students to understand there’s an entire fascinating and important world deep in the sea. There, a variety of fascinating animals thrive. It is also where our DEEPEND Science Team studies. Our Taking Science Deeper curriculum is designed to provide a variety of activities you can incorporate into your curriculum and highlight the animals or research of the Team.
TAKING SCIENCE DEEPER ACTIVITY BOOKLETS (k-6): Crafts, games and labs easy to plug into k-6th classroom lesson plans. Some adaptable for older students.
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 1 Intro to the Deep Sea DEEPEND
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 2 Deep Sea Animals DEEPEND 2015
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 3 Hagfish Day Sampler DEEPEND
- Taking Science Deeper Booklet 4 Ocean Currents and Pollution DEEPEND
TAKING SCIENCE DEEPER COLORING SHEETS:
- DEEPEND Siphonophore Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Glass Squid Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Benthic Octopus Larva Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Deep-Sea Squid Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Anglerfish Coloring Sheet
- DEEPEND Deep Red Medusa Coloring Sheet
DEEPEND Teaching Modules (6th-12th grade): Great background information for teachers of all grades and some activities adaptable to 4-5th grade.
- Marine Environments DEEPEND Teaching Module (6th-12th grade) Great intro information for teachers of all grades and some activities adaptable to 4-5th grade.
- Adaptations DEEPEND Teaching Module (6th-12th grade)
- DEEPEND Videos Page (or click on link below):
- Other Videos about the Deep Sea
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND ACTIVITIES
- Fishin for Facts Hagfish
- Fishin for Facts Glow in the Dark Poop
- Creep into the DEEPEND Magazine Cover activity
- Videos about the Deep
INFORMATION ABOUT DEEP AND OCEAN ZONES
- Excellent video from NOAA’s Oceans Today: The Deep Ocean
- Deep Sea Biome, UntamedScience.com: This page has great introductory information about ocean zones and three videos your students might enjoy. We encourage you to show the Deep-Sea Conservation one to your students.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DEEPEND SCIENCE TEAM AND OTHER RESOURCES
- DEEPEND Consortium Website
- Oregon Coast Aquarium’s Oceanscape Network
- Creep into the DEEPEND Seamails
- Postcards from the DEEPEND
For more information about the 2016 and 2017 Creep into the DEEPEND Events, email us: deepend at our website whaletimes.org
DEEPEND research, outreach, and education funded by the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative. Thank you!